“Where do I put my money and time when fixing up my home?” This is one of the most important questions that our clients ask us when they are ready to sell their Santa Cruz Real Estate. We’d like to share some valuable tips and resources that we’ve gathered over the years.
Tip 1: Know Your Santa Cruz Home
Depending on the neighborhood, Santa Cruz homes can be very unique. The age and architecture of properties may vary from street to street, and some would benefit from certain upgrades more than others. For example:
- If you have unpermitted living space in your home, your greatest return may result from bringing that space up to code so that it can be included in your official square footage. However, this can be a long and arduous process, so ensure you understand the costs upfront before taking up this project.
- If there is deferred maintenance in your home, addressing it will help ensure a smooth sale.
- Are certain parts of your home updated, while others are not? Bringing those less-attractive rooms up-to-par with the rest of your house will help increase the overall appeal of the property.
Tip 2: Use The Cost Vs. Value Report
The Cost Vs. Value (CvV) report comes out annually and reports on home-remodeling projects which produce the highest return on investment (ROI) within both the Pacific Region of the United States and the Bay Area.
In this past year (2018), the CvV found that an upscale garage door replacement would generate one of the greatest ROI’s amongst all home-upgrades. Other high ROI projects included installing Manufactured Stone Veneer on the outside of the building, kitchen remodels, and window replacements.
You can download the CvV report for free here.
(We have no affiliation with the producers of the Cost vs. Value Report)
Tip 3: Don’t Underestimate the Power of Aesthetics
Home-renovation projects can be time, labor, and cost intensive. If you are on a tight budget, consider that some organization projects are both inexpensive and easy to do yourself.
Making the home aesthetically pleasing will create a good “first-impression” on buyers, and help generate more interest in your Santa Cruz home. Here are some organization tools and tips that you can use to make your property show in it’s best light:
- Reduce clutter in the home before you sell. Find easy decluttering tips here.
- Organize and clean your garage using tools like the Monkey Bar so that it looks open and spacious.
- Use Professional Staging: The National Association of Realtors found that 81% of buyers say home staging makes it easier to visualize the property as their future home. Additionally, 45% of buyers say it will positively impact the value of the home if it is decorated to the buyer’s tastes.
When it comes time to sell your Santa Cruz Estate, make sure that you consult with an experienced and trusted Santa Cruz RealtorⓇ. This person has seen hundreds of properties in your area and can help you decide which home-renovation projects are best suited to your home and market.